what would I allow Jesus to do to me? - 1st week advent friday

Advent is a penitential season which prepares us for Christmas, not just to celebrate his birth but to really meet the Lord.  That is why the question of the Lord in the gospel is important "Do you believe that I can do this?" 
What is it that you believe Jesus can do for you?  What would I allow Jesus to do to me?
Surely Jesus is not just a healer for us or a problem solver or just a benefactor to whom we could run to ask for help.  More than this Jesus is savior.  Jesus takes away the sins of the world.  Jesus liberates us from our attachments.  Jesus forgives and erases our past mistakes and sins, he heals our regrets and guilt.  He gives us a new way of looking at things – how we look at ourselves and our relationship with others, how we look at our priorities in life.

Our Saint today, St. Ambrose was governor of Milan in the 4thcentury.  He never intended to become a bishop.  In fact he had to hide himself because people wanted him to become a bishop.  And so against his wishes he finally allowed the Lord to use him as his instrument.  And indeed he proved himself a worthy instrument – to fight a heretical movement called Arianism and to introduce and baptize St. Augustine to the catholic faith.
What would I allow Jesus to do to me and through me?  What do I believe Jesus can do for me?  This season of advent let this question of Jesus linger and may it not remain unanswered.

Comments