our answer to Jesus' questions - 29th sunday B



The questions of Jesus to James and John need answers from us also. And there are two.
First question: "What do you want me to do for you?" Imagine yourself being asked that question by Jesus, “Juan, Mary, what is it you want me to do for you?” How would you answer? Last time I heard mega millions is 1.6 billion.  What do you pray for?  Do you pray for health, for your children to go to college?  It is a good question because our prayers reveal who we are - our character, our values, even our anger, they reveal our insecurities, what is important for us, and even our frustrations in life.  Jesus said from the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.  The point is, this question of Jesus is important.  We need to explore and discover our real desires expressed in our prayers.   And then probably as a follow-up we could ask, are these desires in consonance with the desires of God for me?

So what do you pray for?  Do not worry if you ask the wrong things.  Even James and John were told by Jesus “you do not know what you are asking.” Teresa of Avila once said, some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.  
In my diocese in the Philippines there is a monastery where people ask the nuns to pray that it would not rain on some special events in their life like weddings, birthdays.  As an offering they send the monastery trays and trays of eggs.  But the farmers too pray but this time for rain. So whose prayer is answered?  The seminary - because we are the beneficiary of the eggs.  You see whenever you pray there is always a winner.  No prayer is wasted.  
In the past I too prayed for the weather I like.  Nowadays I just pray to be happy regardless of the weather.  We grow in prayer.  So it is good to ask, what do you pray for?
Second question, Can you drink the cup that I drink?  Can you drink?  The question is important because one is reminded that one has a choice. James and John have a choice.  In the garden of Gethsemane Jesus had a choice too.  It was an agonizing choice that made him sweat blood, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me; still, not my will but yours be done.” It was a difficult choice nevertheless he chose his Father’s will.  
When I decided to become a priest, I knew there will be times that it wouldn’t be easy.  But I never expected that it could be so lonely at times.  I have to remind myself, I chose to drink the cup.
When you decided to marry the person you did not choose to marry only the good in that person but also the imperfect in that person, because you are marrying the person and not just of part of him or her. And from time to time this ugly thing comes out, and you too have to remind yourself at times, I chose to drink the cup.
So can you drink of the cup?  Please decide because there is no true love without suffering.  So, can you drink of the cup?  Please choose because there can never be a gift of life without pain.

Comments