psalm 84 - I will hear - the root of queenship - Queenship of Mary

Today we celebrate the Queenship of the Blessed Mother – Mary is Queen of Heaven and Earth.  In the entire year we have celebrated so many privileges, so may honors and titles, so many tributes to our Blessed Mother.  Why is she so honored, why is she reverenced to the point that some have already called Catholics absurd in our attitude towards the Blessed Mother?  Why.  Because of what is narrated in our responsorial psalm, psalm 84.  It begins in saying, "I will hear what God proclaims; the LORD–for he proclaims peace."  Psalm 84 says, I will listen, I will hearken to what the Lord will say.  Mary listened.  That is the greatness of our Blessed Mother.  This is why we honor her so greatly because she listened.  She listened to the angel, she said yes to what the Lord was asking from her, she followed although there were obviously things she could not fully understand.  She offered herself generously.  She was afraid yet she continued to trust that the word of God would be fulfilled in her.  God was allowed to do so many things in our world for our salvation because Mary listened.
This is also the challenge for us seminarians especially every time we are given responsibilities and chores.  When we listen to the call of God we become like Mary who allowed God to do good things to others through her.  When we do our responsibilities in our spiritual life we allow God to do good things to our community through us.  That is also the way of the priesthood – I allow God to speak through me, I allow God to serve through me, I allow God help others through me.  This is where greatness lies, when we listen, when we respond to the challenge to allow God to do good things in us and through us – like Mary.

Comments