worship at the cathedral 3

My take on abstinence...
Abstinence is an act of doing without, a giving up of something good.  It is done in the spirit of sacrifice. As Catholics we are required to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all the Fridays of Lent. 
First, this abstinence from meat works on the presumption that meat is good.  Precisely it is a sacrifice because it is good.  We don't sacrifice something we don't like in the first place. 
Second, abstinence from meat works also on the presumption that meat is always associated with fiestas and celebrations.  Thus, even today, we often overhear people say in celebrations, "baw, grabe nga fiesta lima gid ka lechon," or "nag-ihaw gid sila duha ka baboy ka isa ka baka," which can only mean that the celebration is grander.
Third, it also works on the presumption that meat is luxury.  Meat cost a bit more.  Thus, to abstain from meats means to eat only the less expensive and simple food.
However, there seems to be a cultural shift today.  Meat is no longer that good and not just for reasons Fr. Philip would raise.  More and more are becoming vegetarians and vegans (look for the difference).  PeTA's arguments gets a good hearing to some.  Meat does not make it that grand anymore.  Lobster does.  Caviar too and sushi.  Meat is not even luxury now especially with the burger joints we see on every street corner offering buy-two-take-one hamburgers.  Well, unless it is wagyu!
The point is meat is not all the rave today as it was before.  So, what happens then to abstaining from meat?
I still maintain that Lent and therefore "abstaining" is about "giving up something."
First, it is giving up something that I consider good.  The "good" I am referring to is the good with the following synonyms – enjoyable, pleasant, nice, lovely and delightful.  Giving up the "good" I can have more time for the "ugly", for what I consider despicable, the less desirable, the uncomfortable, the inconvenient, the unlovable.
Secondly, abstaining is giving up celebrations and feasts for a time.  I am not doing away with celebrations and feasts.  No, I'm not a killjoy.  In Lent I am just merely postponing.  Do I really need to do it now or can I postpone it sometime later?  Do I have to buy it now or can I just reserve it for the future?  To postpone what I want and what I enjoy and what I love, and what I crave and what I desire and what I like, and what I fancy.
And lastly, abstaining from meat can rightfully mean that I need to live simply, eat a simpler fare, wear simple clothes, do simple things, enjoy simpler fun, desire simple things, be happy with the simple life.
That's my take on abstinence.  It's a sacrifice, so it may not be up to our liking. But it does help us grow in freedom.
And to be able to do this, you don't even have to start at 14 years of age. 


Comments