that others may be loved more than I - 7th week wednesday 2019

“There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my namewho can at the same time speak ill of me.  For whoever is not against us is for us."
These words of Jesus condemns what we call the attitude of exclusivism.  What is this attitude of exclusivism?  It is a belief that “Good is not good unless I am the onewho does it.” Ang exclusivism amo ang pagdumdum nga ang maayo nga butang indi maayo kon indi ako ang nagbuhat sina.  Indi ina nami nga pamatasan.  
For Jesus we should be happy, we should rejopice in the good regardless of who does it.  Why? Because the good is good even if it is not I who do it.

Many times exclusivism comes from envy when we become angry, we become sad because we see the good in others as a threat to our person or to our own self-worth.  This is also brought about by pride nga indi kita luyag malabawan.  How do we fight this attitude?  Here is a beautiful prayer by Cardinal Merry del Val which will remind us always of what Jesus wants us to become.  Part of the long prayer says:
That others may be loved more than I.
That others may be esteemed more than I.
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease.
That others may be chosen and I set aside.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed.
That others may be preferred to me in everything.
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should. Amen.

Comments