how can I become a good catholic - 8th sunday C 2019

The three parables told in succession by Jesus in today’s gospel is in answer to the question: How can I become a good and faithful disciple of the Lord.  Or probably we can also make it more specific, how can I become a good Catholic?
First, to become a good catholic I need to be careful as to what and whom I am listening to, whom I am following.  I cannot allow a blind to guide me.  So for example if somebody says the catholic church will no longer exist in 25 years, whom will I believe, the person who said this, or Jesus who said, and on this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not stand against it.  If somebody in the plaza tells me to burn all the images of Jesus and Mary and the saints in my house because the bible prohibits praying to them whom will I follow, the person who said it or the church who through centuries have taught that we don’t worship images but venerate the persons these images represent. 
 If someone tells me that we are now in a modern and practical age and abortion, gay marriage and divorce are already acceptable - whom will I follow, the media who promotes these or the church. What if my companion in the office tell me to steal for everyone is stealing anyway – wo whom will I listen to – my companions or the 7thcommandment of God. The first lesson proposed by Jesus is this - choose well the people whom you listen to, choose well the people you allow to guide you, choose well the people you allow to inform your judgments.
Second, how do I become a good catholic.  Jesus said,Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye,but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own? This saying of Jesus comes from the principle - you cannot give what you do not have, you cannot teach what you do not practice or at the least you are trying to practice.  It comes from the principle you cannot take care of others, when you have not taken care of yourself first.  Isn’t it that in the airplane before it takes off the stewardess warns us that should there be a rapid decrease of oxygen we should put our oxygen mask first before we put the oxygen mask of the child.   You have to take care of your soul first before you venture to care for others.  We must straighten our lives first before we venture to straighten the lives of people around us.  So take time to pray, take time to go to church, take time to go to a recollection or retreat this lent so that in caring for yourself you can take good care of others.
Third, how can I become a good catholic?  Jesus said, "A good tree does not bear rotten fruit.  I know I have become a good catholic by looking at how I speak, what I do and how I relate with others.  If you remember our history ancient Romans became attracted to Christianity in the first three centuries when they saw how they lived and said, see how they love one another. Can we also say that to describe our family and our parish?  Lantawa kon daw ano sila maghigugmaanay.
So how do I become a faithful follower of Jesus, how do I become a good catholic?  First I need to be careful in choosing the people whom I listen to, the things I believe in, the persons I follow.  Second I can only become a good catholic when I have taken care of myself, physically and spiritually.  Only when I have done so can I take care of others as well.  Then lastly, I know I have become a good catholic by the fruits I produce, in what I say, in what I do, in the way I do my work, in my involvement in church and society and in my neighborhood.  I have to produce good fruits.

Comments