being barnabas and being happy: 10th week monday

Today we celebrate the feast of St. Barnabas.  He was Paul’s companion on his first missionary journey.  The name Barnabas means son of encouragement and consolation. And true to his name Barnabas encouraged Paul especially during the first year of Paul’s conversion. Christians were doubting his conversion. So nobody listened to Paul, he was shunned, people would not even come near him.  It could have been disheartening for Paul.  But who saved him?  Barnabas.  Barnabas encouraged Paul.  And because of that Paul persevered and became the apostle to the gentiles.  

When I was first year high school, on the very first night I was here in the seminary I was encouraged by Fr. Amalay. They were 4thyear college then together with Msgr. Joemarie Delgado.  Of all things, Fr. Amalay told me to eat well, indi maghuya-huya sa pagkuha sang sud-an kag sa pagkaon kon ano man ang ginaserbi.  After 4thyear High School I wanted to leave the seminary but again I was encouraged by my friends – si Fr. Encanto, Fr Territorio and again I went on.  Then after 4thyear college I wanted to go out of the seminary again but then again Msgr. Eli and Fr. Art came and encouraged me.  Of course vocation is a calling from God, it is God who calls us to become priests but many times he sends many Barnabases along the way, people who encourage, people who prod you on, people who tell you that they believe in you and in what you can do.
So be always an encourager to your brothers.  Help the weak, teach those who doubt to believe in themselves and in what they can do. 
Today for those who do not know yet I am saying this mass on a Monday evening because I am a guest priest here. The bishop told me to wait awhile in the seminary while he tries to settle things and look for a vacant parish. I already transferred room because Room 1 is always reserved for the rector.  That is the reason why until the last minute I do not know where to celebrate my silver anniversary this coming Friday.  It was Msgr. Joemarie who accommodated me at the cathedral because I do not have a community in this transition because I no longer belong here. At least I can still say that I belong to the cathedral community because I am still in-charge of the candle factory.  
But I would like to assure you that I asked to be transferred from the seminary not because I am no longer happy with you.  No, that’s not the issue.  There is wisdom in transferring.  New challenges allow us to discover our gifts, our strengths and of course also our weaknesses.  And with these weaknesses we discover our resilience, our capacity to improve and become better along the way.
Our gospel today tells us what would make us happy.  Last week two great people died – Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain.  They were celebrities, they were millionaires in dollars. In peso they are billionaires.  But why commit suicide?  Why end your life?  There must be something to life more than money, more than fame, more than celebrity status.  And that’s the point of our gospel.  My father did not want me to become a priest because he wanted me to be rich thinking perhaps that that would make me a happy person.  But I don’t want to be rich.  And in the priesthood I can still confidently say that I have never enriched myself.  
But am I happy? Am I contented? Yes even after 25 years in the priesthood. Do I have regrets in becoming a priest? No.  If I have to live my life all over again would I still decide to become a priest?  Yes, although I promise I would become a better one.
Blessed, the blessedness of the beatitudes is actually a way to happiness.  Happiness is not what the world can offer.  It is being at home in God’s will fulfilling God’s purpose for you.

Comments