25th year in the priesthood - june 15, 1993-2018

When I asked Reynard (Tubid) to give the homily in this mass marking my 25thyear in the priesthood, it is not because he is a just a deacon who happens to be from Oton and who happens to be my student.  In other words, it is not just because he cannot say no to me.  But more importantly, I am interested in what this idealistic young deacon who is going to be ordained a month from now together with Fremar and Eric, I am interested in what he was going to say.  Age may have given us wisdom, but the young have in their possession still the ideals, the standard, the epitome of the priesthood. In my 25thyear I need to be reminded of the ideals of the priesthood and in my 25thyear I need to know how far have I been veering away from these ideals. Faithfulness in the priesthood means a life configured to Christ.  Faithfulness in the priesthood is sustained by prayerfulness.  Faithfulness to the priesthood is remaining in God’s love.   And when my own faithfulness is tested and found wanting, God’s own faithfulness to me remains constant.  For when God’s faithful love encounters great need, love becomes mercy.  

I am celebrating my priesthood at a time when 3 priests have just been murdered, one of whom will be buried today; I am celebrating my priesthood at a time when the faith I teach is discredited, laughed at and mocked, I am celebrating my priesthood at a time when the church I love and serve is slandered.  But perhaps these are the very reasons why we should celebrate.
I have answered the call because it is more difficult than the rest, it is the least rewarding among the choices, it is the less preferred pick, it is the road less travelled.  Something may be wrong when the priesthood becomes too comfortable.  Difficulties have always been a reminder that we are not of this world.
Although my brother is a caterer I am inviting you just for snacks after this mass.  Though I am sure I will get a big discount I would rather spend your gifts to where it really counts - to the apostolate, to the seminary.  The eucharist we celebrate in giving us just a tiny piece of wafer each time we go to communion teaches us that we eat less so that we can give more . . . .
For we do not live on bread alone and I am very happy that Fr. Warlit, the parish priest of Salngan could join me this morning and my classmate too, Fr. Danny Tabuyan from the diocese of Antique, my community in St. Vincent Ferrer Seminary, my Community here in the parish of Jaro, and the two bishops (Bishop Romy and Bishop Angel) and my brother priests.  Shared joy is always multiplied joy.
Last Monday when the seminary gave me a stipend for saying mass for the seminarians I know that definitely I am already a guest priest in the community. I already feel like I’m a grandfather in the house.  
Let me end by explaining a bit our responsorial psalm this morning.  Psalm 40 is the same psalm composed on the spot by then Seminarian Doming Alimajen 25 years ago for my ordination (now Fr. Doming). It is a significant psalm in my life. It is a psalm which doubles the word “wait.”  Because it may sound ridiculous, it is translated in hiligaynon as madugay na ang akon paghulat, or in English, I have waited patiently.  Literally however it is “wait, wait,” or “in waiting I waited.” 
To wait-wait literally means to wait patiently, and waiting patiently implies something more deeply important – to wait means I am relinquishing control, I am acknowledging, I am accepting that something is not within my power. To wait-wait implies therefore a deep trust and reliance on God – in his wisdom, in his power, and more importantly in His timing.   
To wait-wait also means I am actively, I am anxiously awaiting, with every fiber of my being for the Lord. This is not just quiet resignation.  Instead when I wait-wait for the Lord I am fully confident that God will come to help me. I am confident that God will rescue me.
This had always been my strength  in the priesthood – to wait-wait, to wait waiting. And it will always be a challenge.

Your presence means a lot for me today, pray for me always as I await my new assignment.  






Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi! Msgr.,

I was just googling your successor at the SVFS, and saw his IG has pix of Buddha. I'm just concerned that it might be misinterpreted. Or had SVFS gone full Nostra Aetate already - I mean, is syncretism now cancelled by Nostra Aetate? https://www.instagram.com/jacobresjulius/?hl=en