3 characteristics of a follower: 4th week easter tuesday

What are the characteristics of a true sheep of Jesus the good shepherd. Jesus named three.  A true sheep or a true follower of the Lord are as follows: first, they hear my voice; second, I know them; and third they follow me.  The 3 characteristics of a true follower of Jesus.  
First, they hear my voice.  Whose voice do you listen to?  Whose voice do you hear?  Is it the voice of the Lord?  Or is it the voice of anger welling within, or the voice of jealousy and envy that makes us suspicious of others or one that creates mistrust?  What voice do we usually listen to?  Do we listen to God’s word, do we allow it to guide our actions? So this is the first characteristic of a true follower.  They hear his voice.

Second characteristic, I know them.  One time in an accident that happened we were debating where to bring the patient – this hospital is nearer, this hospital has far better equipment, etc. But the winner is, didto lang ta nga hospital kay may kilala ko to.  I know somebody there and I am known by someone there.  We feel more secure, we feel more at home in a place where we are known.  I believe this is also what Jesus is telling us about this second characteristic of a true follower.  A true follower is one who feels more at home and more secure in Jesus than in any other person or place because he or she is known by Him. A true follower is one who feels more protected, more safe in Jesus than in any other person or place.   Hopefully this is our attitude in our daily mass – I receive him in holy communion because I want to be accompanied the whole day through with somebody who knows me, somebody I am secure and confident with.  I listen to the gospel everyday because I feel more confident in my decisions, I feel assured, I feel a sense of certainty in everything that I do. Is this also how you feel when you are with Jesus?  The second characteristic of a true follower – I know them.
Third characteristic of a true follower, they follow me.  A true follower does not just go to mass to listen. A true follower does not just go to mass to feel good being in church.  A true follower fulfills the third requirement, and what is that?  A true follower of Jesus follows Jesus.  They follow me.  To carry out what we have heard from him, what we saw him doing, how we saw him behaving.  In other words we become more and more similar to Jesus.  The third characteristic, a follower follows.
So what is a true sheep?  Three characteristics according to Jesus - first, they hear my voice; second, I know them; and third they follow me.  

Comments