no tears, no rainbow - psalm 59 - 17th week wednesday



This psalm, psalm 59 was composed by David when Saul was King.  Saul at one point became jealous of David and in act of anger and perhaps envy he sent men, evil men to surround David's house with the command to kill him. "Rescue me from evildoers; from bloodthirsty men save me. For behold, they lie in wait for my life; mighty men come together against me."  David described them as howling dogs prowling looking for food, and when they do not get their fill they growl. 
David must have been in despair, afraid, hopeless and helpless. Saul was powerful but David was powerless.  Saul was king but David was a mere shepherd.  Saul had men ready to obey his orders, but David had no one, no one but God.  And so what did David do?  David sang.  "I will sing of your strength and revel at dawn in your mercy; O my strength! your praise will I sing; for you, O God, are my stronghold."

There is a saying which goes this way, "if the eye has no tears, the soul would have no rainbow."  This song Psalm 59 composed by David is one that is born in the day of distress when David tasted the might and strength of God in the midst of his suffering.  Psalm 59 is the rainbow in his soul produced by the tears in his eyes.
Before I leave I would like you to be a singing community, not the karaoke type but one that is borne out of our love, our trust, our joy in God who is our fortress and our strength just  like David.  Our experience of God as a community moves us, urges us in fact to sing of his mercies and faithful love.

Comments