gowing old joyfully - psalm 71 - 16th week wednesday



Psalm 71 is the psalm of an old person.  Old age brings with it difficulties and even frightening thoughts: an old body now more susceptible to illness; the waning of physical strength; feelings of uselessness; little by little loved ones are lost, dwindling incomes which may no longer be enough for medicines; loneliness, and the fear of dying and death.  But the old person in Psalm 71 though in the midst trials and problems is a joyful person who is able to focus on the Lord.  Why is he joyful, why can he focus in the Lord?
First, because he has personal knowledge of God, he knows God.  When he prays he does not say "God, whoever you are, wherever you are please help me."  No. Instead he says, "In you, O LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame.  On you I depend from birth; from my mother’s womb you are my strength."  He is one who is familiar with the assurances and promises of God in the bible.

Second, he has already formed in him a habit of trust.  He had been through trials and difficulties before, he had also probably worried himself to exhaustion, but in old age he had already developed that habit of trust, that God will see him through, that God will preserve him as He did in the past - You are my rock and my fortress; For you are my hope, O Lord; my trust, O God, from my youth.
And third he had developed a lifestyle of serving God. Instead of saying "I deserve a wonderful retirement," this old person said, "O God, you have taught me from my youth, and till the present I proclaim your wondrous deeds."  There is still that desire, that kick inside him urging him, driving him to serve the Lord in whatever capacity – to proclaim his wondrous deed to all.
So let us learn from this old person growing old joyfully in the Lord as he prays psalm 71.

Comments