loving god's word - psalm 119 - 18th week monday



Today we read Psalm 119.  It is the longest psalm with 176 verses, and therefore it is also the longest chapter in the bible.  In the bible length is always an indication that something is very important.  If you have listened carefully in the reading of the psalm you will hear words of almost identical meaning repeated – statutes, law, word of truth, ordinances, decrees, and verbs like teach, instruct, pay heed.  And if we continue further we will have words like keep, understand, learn, meditate, observe.
This psalm is praise of God's instructions, a praise of the torah, a praise of God's word.  The psalm prays to God that God will instill in our hearts a love for his word, a love for the bible, a love for reading, studying, understanding the bible. A love for observing, taking to hearty, doing what the word of God instructs us.  I remember when I was in high school during that time when study period was really very, very strict – you cannot talk, you cannot stand, you cannot even lean to borrow something, whenever I feel bored from studying I would take my bible and read.  And I notice then that when I read my bible I get good grades during exams.  Of course I studied my lessons.  But whenever I read the bible after studying my lessons, I notice, I get better grades.  I don't know why but I think Psalm 119 is pointing to something here.  You will be blessed when you make God's word a priority.  You will be happy when you have the word of God in your heart.  You will feel secure in God because of the assurances of his words.  I do not know if some miracle was at work them, but probably if I have to explain it scientifically I feel confident facing the exam whenever I read God's word.  I approach the exams more secure, more confident, more upbeat.
I really like to read and study the bible.  Whenever I make homilies, even this very short homily, I will always consult not less than five sources so that I can see the real intent of the author of a particular book.  I just don't rely on stored knowledge – I read, I study and I try to relate it with life.  It started when I was high school in that boring study hall – that time too the novels in the library were still dusty and I don't bother borrowing – ka yab-ok.  Subong may mga bulobag-o na gawa.  But this is what the psalm is encouraging us – an interest for God's word.  You don't have to have the mind of Msgr. Sozonte in order to have a grasp and then a love for the word of God.  Read the bible, love your bible.  And probably also we can begin by reading well during the mass – reading in order to be understood.  And then we listen because when you listen intently you will always hear something new.  Love God's word.



Comments