psalm 119: difficulties attract; hardship challenges men - 10th week tuesday

Today we reflect on psalm 119.  As I have already noted in the past this is the longest psalm, a psalm of 176 verses, and this longest psalm is a psalm in praise of God words, his precepts, his commands, his laws, his decrees.  In the psalm one is thankful for God's words and commands comparing these to a lamp to one's feet, a light for one's path, it is wisdom, it gives understanding, it enlightens the heart and the mind.
Rules are not always liked, and many times, people would avoid them if they can.  We always want to do what we like, when we like and how we like things done.  We are always jealous of our freedoms and we refer to these laws and commands as burdens we don't want to carry.  But there are people who are happy because of these guides, and many times as we get older we can only look back with nostalgia and gratitude to those days when our parents made us do what we did not want to do.
Today as we end the first full day of our retreat we look to the example of St. Anthony of Padua.  He was formerly an Augustinian monk, then one day upon hearing of the martyrdom of 5 Franciscans in Morocco, he abandoned his Augustinian habit and joined the Franciscans.  He also wanted to become a martyr for Christ in Morocco.  However when he went there he fell ill and he has to be sent back to Italy.  Unable to become a martyr he accepted God's will and became one of the greatest preacher.
Anthony wanted to become a martyr.  In a mysterious way difficulties and hardships attract.  St. Teresa also wanted to become a martyr and she in fact run away from home as a child to offer her life to Christ. The more difficult, the more attractive it becomes.  Mysterious isn't it?  I remember also my attraction to the priesthood.  I was already here in the seminary.  And one day I saw posted on the bulletin board a vocation poster of the Jesuits.  It says, Hard work, low pay.  And that was when I told myself I also want to become a priest.  Hard work, low pay.  My father would always tell us that he wants us to become rich.  When I saw the poster I told myself, that's for me.
Difficulties attract.  Hardship challenges men, willing to make a difference in the world by becoming salt and light.


Comments