fatima triduum 2nd day: reparation

Today we consider the second message which is reparation. 
When the angel appeared to the 3 children of Fatima he asked them to offer their sufferings as an act of reparation to God.  Then our Blessed Mother herself asked the 3 children to make reparation for the sins against God and against her Immaculate Heart.
What is reparation and how could we practice it?  Reparation means making up for the offenses against God.  Making up.  When I forgot an appointment I had with a seminarian he was so disappointed because he was looking forward for a week for that meeting and so I have to make up with him, meaning I have to repair something that was broken, I have to restore something that was cut.  This is reparation.

Francisco was so horrified when he realized how the sins of men and women saddened God and so this little 8 year old boy would try to find ways and do what he can so that he can console the heart of God.  He would think of ways of making God happy.  And so he would do extra prayers, he would get out of his way to do a good deed . . . for what to make God happy.  This is reparation.
Actually, this is what Jesus did.  By his cross Jesus made reparation – he ransomed us from our sins, he paid what is due to us by offering his life.  Jesus made the highest and the only reparation that was needed.  What our Lady of Fatima is asking us is not to replace Jesus, we could not replace Jesus, but she is asking us to work with Jesus, to share in the work of Jesus, to share in his work of reparation.
I am very much afraid when the dentist works on my teeth.  All my muscles get tensed and in my insecurity I would hold on to anything I could grab.  But I remember what my formators told me in the past - to offer my pain in reparation.  And so I think a lot of souls are very happy because every time I go to the dentist and see all those needles and pinchers and pliers and whatever, I would recall all the souls of the dead that I know and offer them my pain.  That is reparation.
But the best reparation is when we do a good deed for others – sharing your food, sharing what you have, doing something for somebody in need, sacrificing something, sacrificing your convenience, sacrificing what you like and love, what you value for the sake of others – these are great reparations.
Reparation is nothing else but doing what Jesus did.  As Jesus washed his disciples' feet, so also we should wash each other's feet.  Simply said, reparation is according to Francisco, thinking of ways to make God happy, thinking of ways to console God when he is saddened by the sins of the world.


Comments