a personal relationship - 4th week lent thursday

Jesus in our gospel today is citing the testimony of John to the Pharisees who came to question his authority.  Jesus said John was a burning and shining lamp,and for a while you were content to rejoice in his light.  The contentment, Jesus said was for a while, the hearing which was on going was interrupted.  Something made them stop listening to him, something made them discontented with him, something made them turn their backs on him.  Probably something that he did, something that he said.

Yesterday I said that what makes faith last is when it ceases to be mere ritual, mere intellectual ascent and becomes a relationship, a personal relationship.  Faith in Jesus always undergo these 3 stages.  I believe because I understand, I can intellectually agree, I see the logic of what you are saying.  The second stage is I believe because I trust, I trust his person.  I may not understand things but I trust that this person will always seek my good.  The third stage is I obey and I obey because I have come to love this person.  Faith to mature must become a relationship, a relationship with God, a relationship with Jesus.  This is the challenge of lent for all of us

Comments