psalm 24: who may stand in his holy place. 34th week monday

Today we read psalm 24.  Today our psalm asks the questions:  Who can ascend the mountain of the LORD?  or who may stand in his holy place?  What does it take to be presentable to God, what makes us holy and thus worthy to stand in God's presence?  The widow in the gospel was praised because she lived what psalm 24 teaches.
First and most importantly the need to acknowledge that everything belongs to God and all we have are gifts of God to us. "The LORD’s are the earth and its fullness; the world and those who dwell in it."  Let us start each day with this mindset – everything that I have is God's gift, I should be filled with gratitude and I should use them for his purpose.

Second, we need integrity.  "Who can climb the mountain of the Lord - he whose hands are sinless, whose heart is clean." The intentions of my heart correspond to the actions of my hands, the faith I profess in church corresponds to my behavior outside the church, my love of God is put into practice in my love for others. Integrity means to be undivided. 
And third our psalm says "such is the race that seeks him, that seeks the face of the God of Jacob."  This means that to be pleasing to God there has to be a real effort to seek God in everything - in the classrooms, in the home, when your generosity is tested, when your faithfulness is tempted, when you are sad, when you are happy, when you are angry, when you seek revenge, in helplessness, when you find difficulty forgiving, before a person in need, – seek God – Lord what do you want me to do, is this what you want me to do?  Seek God in everything. 


Comments