kris and lainee

Frankly I dread this day, the day when our supposedly innocent, child-like, almost childish, budding, tender, fledgling, girlish, boyish, juvenile, fresh, blooming, untried, still developing, green, unripe nephews and nieces are lining up to be married.  I dread this day.  I practically listed down all the synonyms of the word young because the last time I saw them they were still in their school uniforms and very cute with their school bags in tow.  Now they have boyfriends and girlfriends in tow.  Now they are bringing them to the altar.  Have they even aged?  Does that mean that I have also aged?
Padre mapakasal ako is ordinary to my hearing, I am used to that, but I still have to get used to the sound of tito mapakasal na kami.   And now one of them is getting married.  The deluge is coming.  And we all know what's next.  We're going to be lolos and lolas in a year or two.

Kris used to play football in the seminary when he was studying in Angelicum, and he remembered the horses, yes, 2 to be exact, that ran around our football field.  That would be around 2002 because I was the one who allowed those horses there.  And their football coach was a seminarian who is now 7 years in the priesthood.  That seminarian, now a priest was still my student. And then it occurred to me that I have been officiating in the weddings of my students before, but now I am officiating in the wedding of a student of my student.
So where do these realities lead us to?
The challenges of faithfulness in married life make us afraid, the challenges of family life make us even more afraid.  Are they ready?  Are they prepared? Are they worthy?  Are they up to the task ahead of them?
I remember these questions because these are the same questions asked in the mass by the bishop to our rector during my ordination.  The Rector of Fr. Gabby was asked the same questions – is he prepared, is he ready, is he worthy.  And both replies were similar – "After making inquiries I testify that they are ready."  But the bishop seems to ignore the reply and instead he says:  "We rely on the help of the Lord God and our Savior Jesus Christ, and we choose this man for ordination."
The wedding in our gospel was supposedly a joyful wedding, it was supposedly a promising wedding, it was supposedly a well-prepared and thoroughly organized wedding.  But then suddenly it turned difficult - it became a wedding that did not foresee necessities, it turned into wedding that underestimated preparations, a wedding that did not come up to expectations.  In short it was a wedding about to end in disaster. 
But then Jesus was there.  Son they have no more wine, Mary said to Jesus presenting the needs of the new wedded couple, they have no more wine.
And we all know the rest of the story - 6 big jugs with water, 20 to 30 gallons each filled to the brim.  And when they brought this to the headwaiter he tasted it and pronounced it the best wine.  That would translate to 900 bottles of the best wine.  Such abundance in Jesus, such an abundance only in Jesus. "We rely on the help of the Lord God and our Savior Jesus Christ."
And yet this is not a miracle.  This abundance of Jesus in turning water into wine was never called by John as a miracle but a sign. 
Now what is a sign?  A sign points to something, it reveals something.  Through his work Jesus wants us to experience God's love for us, he wants to show us God's care, his faithfulness and enduring love, Jesus wants to make the Father's presence tangible and visible in our lives. And so Jesus gave us this miracle so that we will always be looking for signs of God's presence in each other.
When I asked Lainee what do you like about Kris and she immediately replied, he is dependable, you can trust him.  Dependability, faithfulness, loyalty are characteristics of God's love.  Be aware Kris that you reveal that kind of love to Lainee – you are loving her the way God loves each one of us.
When I asked Kris what do you like about Lainee?  He replied, her concern for him even in the little things and in the tiny details of life using facetime to ask ka panoothbrush ka na, kakaon ka na.  Concern even for the insignificant details of our lives is how God loves us too, and Lainee it is good to be always aware that you reveal that kind of loving to Kris – you are loving him the way God loves each one of us.
When I asked Lainee what is it in Kris that attracted you the most – he is helpful, always concerned with others, celebrating his birthday with poor people; he looks tough, he acts tough, daw kaisog but actually he is very gentle, very caring. 
And what about you Kris what is it in Lainee?  When I met her I became a changed man, I became different, all of a sudden I am no longer the way I was before when I am with her.
God's love is like that if like the gospel of John you will constantly look for his presence in the signs that you reveal to each other, and for as long as this kind of loving is there You have God in your midst, you are loving with God's love.

Whatever the future holds whether things will happen as planned, remember you have invited Jesus, and his mother too, and you have what it takes to be husband and wife.  May you continue to reveal to each other God's love for all of us by loving the way God does.

Comments