psalm 24: both seek and are sought 4th week advent tuesday

Today we reflect on Psalm 24.  I have already reflected with you some points in the psalm.  Today we continue our reflection on the same psalm going to that part which say this is the race that seeks you, that seeks the face of the God of Jacob.  I think, this is just what I think – this is what Christmas is all about, this is how I would define Christmas, and these are the people who truly celebrate Christmas.
In a sermon to the monks St. Bernard of Clairvaux reflecting on this part of the psalm said, there are four kinds of people or races as the psalm calls them.  First there is the people who are unbaptized and who do not seek God.  Probably Bernard is referring to those who do not know God or Christ and because they do not know God or Christ they do not seek him.  There are also those who are baptized but they do not seek God.  These are people who were baptized but their Christianity does not make any difference in their life.  They are Catholics only in name.  They are Catholics because they have what we now call a baptismal certificate.  God found them during their baptism but they do not make any effort to find God in their day to day action, decisions and lives.   Gani nakita sila sang Dios pero wala nila ginapangita ang Dios.

Then there are the third people what St. Bernard calls those who both seek and are sought – ang nagapangita kag nakita sang Dios.  God found them in baptism and they seek God in their day to day lives, in their prayer, in their following of his commandments and will.  They seek him everyday in prayer and in living a holy life.
I think this is a very good reflection on advent as we prepare ourselves to meet the Lord this Christmas.  What kind of a people, of a person are we?  I think we can crash out number one because we are all baptized, we were baptized when we were young.  I think the choice is between two and three.  What kind of a Christian am I – am I sought but do not seek, meaning I am baptized but I never make an effort to pray, I do not make an effort to make my life holy, that I do not allow Jesus to influence my decisions or my business, or my private life.  These are Christians siling ni St. Bernard nga nakita ni Lord pero wala nagapangita kay Lord.  Or are we in the third category, the third type, Christians who are sought by the Lord and are seeking the Lord.  They are baptized and they seek God in prayer and in their day to day life.  These are Christians siling ni St. Bernard nga nakita ni Lord kag nagapangita kay Lord sa tagsa ka adlaw sang ila kabuhi.

So what is Christmas, how is Christmas truly celebrated, who are the people who truly celebrate Christmas?  Ang mga tawo nga nakita ni Lord kag padayon nga nagapangita kay Lord.  To be found by God and to continue to seek God in my day to day life until I see him face to face.  If this is not true in our lives then the sales lady in Shoemart is correct when she greeted me "happy holidays."  It is a happy holiday but it is not a Merry Christmas.

Comments