you are being saved - 1st sunday advent c

I would like to amplify the second part of my homily this morning at the cathedral based on our gospel today. 
Jesus said, “There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on earth nations will be in dismay, perplexed by the roaring of the sea and the wave.  People will die of fright in anticipation of what is coming upon the world, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.”
Jesus in effect is telling his disciples that there will be troubles ahead, there will be difficulties and trials, there will be disturbances, there will be suffering and pain, there will be confusion and fear.  So in all these what would a disciple do?  Did Jesus say, “Ok take cover, build yourself a bunker and hide?”  No.  Instead Jesus said, “stand erect and raise your heads.” Now, why should I stand erect and raise my head instead of cower in fear and dread?  Because, Jesus said, “your redemption is at hand.”  The foreboding events around us may hurt us.  But they are not signs of alienation and condemnation.  Rather they are signs of our redemption.  The troubles around us may spell difficulties and burdens for us.  But they are not to destroy us, rather they are signs that we are being saved.

Many of us are victims of a worldview that looks at pain, disease, and sufferings as punishments of God.  Many of us are victims of a worldview that sees heartaches, trials, problems and crisis as evil.  Many of us are victims of a worldview that looks at weaknesses and limitations as signs that Jesus is not in our life, an alienation from grace.  But no.  Jesus says, these are signs that we are being redeemed.  You are not being punished.  No, you are being redeemed.  You are being saved.  Jesus is winning you over.  Jesus is pulling you to himself.  Jesus is making you a better person, a stronger person, a brighter person.  So stand erect and raise your heads!
When I was a seminarian like you I often reacted when my superiors said no to us.  IT was always, no you cannot do that, no we do not allow that, no you cannot leave, no you have to stay put, no, no no.  I never understood it then.  But those were the no’s that taught me that I cannot always get what I want, those were the no’s that made me appreciate what I got, and those were the no’s that allowed me to bloom where I am planted. 
Then there is my disability.  But in my disability the Lord has shown me and even developed my other capacities.
Even as a priest and a rector I am still learning from my difficulties and trials more than from any venue and situations.  I told you of the time when I can no longer sleep because I was worried about many things.  I was a worrier, like the person pointed out by Jesus as one who is caught up by so many care.  Up to a point the worries and anxieties became so overwhelming that finally I decided, no, I am not going to worry about that anymore.
We should not be afraid of the difficulties and trials that come our way.  These are occasions when Jesus is pulling us to himself, occasions where Jesus is making us better persons, where he is redeeming and saving us.




Comments