scrupulosity and self-righteousness - 28th week wednesday

The attitude of the Pharisees as narrated in our gospel today can produce two results – results which are dangerous to Christian life and virtue.  These two results are scrupulosity and self-righteousness.  Scrupulosity is the feeling of guilt every time we commit even the smallest mistake and we would be so afraid that God would be angry with us.  When I was in High School I remember every time during exams I would go to extra lengths not to displease God in anyway because he might be angry with me and I will fail.  So every time I got a low grade, when I would ask myself why I got such low grade, my conclusion would always be, I did something bad to God that is why he is punishing me.  Now that is scrupulosity.

Another effect is self-righteousness.  Since we have observed everything and every detail in our relationship with God, the tendency is to look down on others.  I am better than the rest; I am holier than others; I am much better off in my prayers and devotions that these ignorant people.  This is the beginning of the most dangerous thing that can happen in a spiritual journey – we call it spiritual pride.
Scrupulosity – basi makasala ako ang God will punish me.  Another is Self-Righteousness – I am better than the rest.


Comments