getting in touch with our reality - 2nd week advent Saturday Guadalupe

Discernment is first and foremost getting in touch with our reality – with our doubts, with our anger, with the surprises that happen in our life, the consolations, the anxiety.  Then we ask ourselves where is God in my realities, what is God showing me in my anxieties and in my fears; why is he giving me consolations when I talk to a friend; what is he trying to show me, and perhaps assure me, in my doubts; why are there ordinary events and why are there events that surprise, events that give me joy, why has others moved me to tears, what is God trying to tell me in these extreme emotions?  Why do I feel I do not always get what I want, and why do I get what I do not expect - what is God telling me in this confusion?  Where is God in my anger, where is God in my hatred?  Can I acknowledge these feelings before God, can I share these feelings to God in prayer? Can we ask him in prayer – in these realities where are you leading me, what do you want me to see and realize, guide me.

Today we celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.  St. Juan Diego was asked by the Virgin to come at a certain date on the hill.  But his uncle fell ill and Juan had to find a doctor and so he missed the appointment with the Blessed Mother.  However the doctor’s efforts were in vain and Juan Diego again ran off to look for a priest so that he could give the last sacraments to the dying uncle.  And so as not to be delayed by the Blessed Mother he went by another path, hoping that he would avoid her.  But the Blessed Mother was there on that alternate path and assured Juan Diego saying:  “Am I not here, I who am your Mother? Are you not under my care? Do I not hold you as a dear child in the folds of my garments? Am I not your hope and salvation? Is there anything more you need?”

When we own up to our realities God will always come to assure us that he is there for us just as the Blessed Mother assured Juan Diego, am I not here, I who am your mother?

Comments