goodbye - closing remarks 2015



Today we end another chapter in the long history of St. Vincent Ferrer Seminary.  There are those who will proceed to Philosophy and Theology inching their way to the priesthood.  There are those who will have to find their way in the world following their hearts and their dreams.  Remember always to pray because a person who prays can always be trusted to know what to do with God’s call, wherever that is and for whatever purpose that call may be.

Many many years ago in a night similar to this I also shed tears knowing that I am just counting the nights and the number of sleeps I have left in the place, this place, I have grown familiar with.  I have stayed here for eight years as a young man.  I can still recall the first pew I knelt on during our first night in the chapel when we prayed the rosary.  I can still recall where the very first table I ate my first supper on my first night in the seminary was located inside this refectory.  I am not getting sentimental.  I just want to show you that memories can be so vivid when it recalls persons, places and things that we love and care so deeply.  I hope that sentiment will also remain in your hearts and etched forever in your minds.
And so we come to the end.  It was so good to have you with us.  Goodbye.

Comments