a zygote caused so much joy

Amado Nervo, a Mexican poet wrote these lines which in a way demonstrate to us the event of the visitation and this beautiful exchange of songs which culminates in the Song of Mary in our gospel today. Amado Nervo wrote:
I’m only a spark, make me a fire.
I’m only a string, make me a lyre.
I’m only an ant-hill, make me a mountain.
I’m only a drop, make me a fountain.
I’m only a feather, make me a wing.
I’m only a beggar, make me a king.
Mary conscious of her lowliness said, God has looked with favor on his lowly servant, the Lord has done great things for me.
You will notice in the gospel that when something or someone comes into contact with the person of Christ that thing or that person comes out changed, comes out richer, comes out better.
Two fishes and five loaves fed 5 thousand men; Peter and his companions were fishermen, but with Jesus they became fishers of men; the stormy sea beset by great waves became calm and placid; water was turned into the best wine; the sinful woman becomes a saint; the shameful death on the cross used for criminals became the cause of our salvation and consequently of worship. So powerful was this contact with Christ that in our gospel today the zygote Jesus, a mere zygote in the womb of Mary, which abortionists would readily flush out like an appendix or worst like a malignant tumor, yet this same zygote caused so much joy that the baby in Elizabeth’s womb leapt.


Do you feel the same when you come in contact with Jesus; does it transform you in your crisis; does it alter your attitude towards your problems; does it make you less anxious with your cancer; does it open your eyes to see the bigger picture in a wider horizon; does it make you less hateful and more accepting? Does our contact with Jesus make us rise above our realities of misery and make us realize that we can become bigger and greater than ourselves? Your prayers may go unanswered in the manner you want and expect and yet does this contact give you inner peace and joy?
Contact with the person of Christ can do great things, things which we are sometimes unaware of. With his presence, big and great things can be done as we can see in the lives of the saints in our history. And with his presence the little things that we do can be done in a big way as we may have noticed in our own very lives. This is the message of today’s feast – the feast of the Visitation of Mary to her cousin Elizabeth. We may not notice it now, we may be aware of it only later, but things do happen for the better when we consistently listen to God’s word, when we receive in holy communion and attend mass daily, when we allot for each day a time for prayer and silence. Our contact with Christ on a daily basis makes and will make a difference.
I’m only a spark, make me a fire.
I’m only a string make me a lyre.
I’m only an ant-hill, make me a mountain.
I’m only a drop, make me a fountain.
I’m only a feather, make me a wing.
I’m only a beggar, make me a king.

Comments