perseverance ... the test of genuineness

On March 31, 1997, Newsweek magazine published the result of a survey on people’s prayer beliefs and habits. The title of the survey was “Is God Listening?” The survey says that 87% of the people believe that God answers prayers. But only 54% say they pray on a daily basis. So why is it that though 87 percent believe that God answers prayers, only 54 percent pray on a daily basis?
The probable reasons are the following: First, they don’t have problems to pray for; second, they could not find a time to pray; third they don’t know how to pray; and fifth, they could not find a place to pray. The first reason why only 54 percent pray on a daily basis is they don’t have problems to pray for.
There was this amusing cartoon. It showed a tiny insect peering up at a huge insect. After staring at the huge insect for a while the tiny insect said, “What kind of a bug are you?” “I’m a praying mantis,” came the reply. “That’s absurd,” said the tiny insect. “Bugs don’t pray.”
With that the praying mantis grabbed the little bug around the throat and began to squeeze. He squeezed so hard the tiny bug’s eyes began to bulge. Then rolling its eyeball heavenward, the tiny bug screamed, “Lord help me.”


Many people are like the tiny bug. They ignore prayer. Most of the times they even ridicule people who are prayerful. But the first time they get into trouble, they look heavenward and scream, “Lord help me.” Is this also the kind of prayer habit we have?
There is an Ethiopian proverb which says, “he who recovers from sickness forgets about God?”
Today the gospel is telling us, “Until now you have not asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive so that your joy may be complete.”
Perseverance is the great test of genuineness in the Christian life. And so it is in our prayers. When we persevere in prayer it means that our desires are genuine, that out trust is complete, and that our hope is sure.
And so today we ask the Lord:
Lord I am prayerful now because I have something to ask from you, and so I ask, after my prayers had been answered, help me to be prayerful still.
Lord I pray in times of trials and difficulties, help me also to remain prayerful during happy times and even during ordinary, uneventful times.
Lord I pray in times of need, I pray in times when I become powerless and unable to control the situation I’m in, help me also to persevere in prayer even when everything is in order and when everything is fine.
Lord I pray during sad times, and I pray very well when tears are rolling from my eyes, help me also to pray when I am glad and joyful so that my joy may be complete.

Comments