via crucis - he leads the way of the cross - DOI 2017

One of the thoughts that gave me strength when I was in terrible pain because of arthritis was not the thought of a powerful God, or of a miracle working God.  Rather it was the simple belief that God too was in pain when I was in pain, that God too was crying with me when I cried in my frustrations, that God was also angry as I was angry because of my disability.  God may not have healed me but he was with me in my pain.
This is also the kind of God we meet on our way of the cross.  It is not a God who will carry the cross for us so that we can live a life of convenience.  It is not a God who will not allow us to slip or fall so that we won't bruise our legs.  It is not a God who will miraculously save us from crisis and trials and pain and suffering.   This is not the God we will meet today.  Instead we will meet a God who leads the way of the cross - he stumbles with us, he is pained when we are pained, he is grieved when we are crying, he is burdened when we are burdened.  Put in mind what St Paul says, when we have died with him we shall also live with him.


In this our way of the cross Jesus leads us.  Though there would be dying along the way, it is a way that does not end in death.  In this our way of the cross we are marching to freedom and victory, to God's life and endless glory.

Comments