knowing my reason for being



In our gospel today the smallest word spells a difference.  The word is mine - I know mine and mine know me.  Jesus is referring not just to any other sheep but to his sheep, my sheep.  This possessive personal pronoun spells the difference between the good shepherd and the hired man.  The good shepherd will lay down his life for the sheep because it is his sheep.  But the hired man will run away at the first sign of danger because he only works for pay.  It is not his sheep anyway.
Lain gid man iya kon tag-iya mismo ang nagapadalagan sang tanan, hands-on tawag naton, sang sa ibilin mo lang sa iban.  Lain gid iya ang nanay mismo sang sa yaya lang, indi bala?  Lain gid ya ang tag-iya sang sa manager lang.  Lain gid iya ang pagtratar mo sang isa ka butang nga ginapanag-iyahan mo sang sa imo lang ginarentahan.  The difference is in these small words: "mine" and "my,"- this is my child, this is my house, this is my store, this is my land, and with Jesus today saying my sheep, I know mine and mine know me.  The pronoun signifies ownership, gin-ako, ginkabig nga iya and it could only come as the result of a decision.  To say my, or this is mine, to say akon ini, is a result of a choice, a decision has been made.

Jesus calls us his sheep.  He is claiming us as his own.  He chose us.  If we are here it is because God decided to create us and he has a purpose, a reason in creating us.  Wala lang kita nagtuhaw.  Wala lang kita ginpalagpatan.  Wala lang kita nag-ulpot sa duta nga daw mga uhong.
Thus our second reading says:  See what love the Father has bestowed on us that we may be called the children of God.
Each of us has been created on purpose and in love.  Precisely it is because of this that we have what we call a vocation.  Kita gintawag, tungod kay kita gintuyo, may rason kon ngaa gintuga kita kag may kabangdanan kon ngaa yari kita diri subong.  Out of so many possibilities we came to be.  And God did not just call us sheep.  Rather God referred to us as his sheep. He made us on purpose.  We have a reason for being.  Each of us has a destiny to fulfil.
Now the question is, what is that destiny, what is that call, what is your vocation?  Sa simple nga pamangkot, ngaa sa pagkadamo sa posibilidad ngaa ikaw gid, maano ka di?  What is your purpose?  Do you feel a sense of purpose every time you wake up and arise from your bed?
Today is world day of prayer for vocation.  In all the churches not just in our country but all over the world today we are asked to pray for vocations, specifically for the increase of religious vocations - ang pagkapari, ang pagkamadre ukon pagkarelihiyoso.  This is an appropriate time to pray for this intention because our gospel is consequently telling us that we are here because we are products, results of the choices of God.  This is a Sunday where we are made to consider God’s purpose for us, to consider our reason for being.
I am like you a human person, I believe I was created by God with a reason, I have a purpose, I have a mission, I have a vocation, I have a destiny to fulfil.  I decided to become a priest because in my own discernment this is what I believe God wanted me to become.  This is my reason for being in this world.  This is for me the reason why God created me. 
Today give yourself that chance to ask:  What is my purpose, what is my vocation, what good will I allow God to give to the world through my person?  It may not be the priesthood, but it will always be that which will bring good to others.  Know your purpose.  Know your reason for being.

Comments