god renews his call - 17th week Wednesday 2014



Woe to me, Jeremiah said, like Job he wished that he was not born at all.  And the source of his moaning and complaining was his vocation as a prophet.  Today we get a glimpse of what happens when the man of God undergoes a spiritual crisis.  Jeremiah bared his soul for all of us to see.  He was wallowing in self pity, he feels sorry for himself, he blames himself for the conflicts around him, he was giving his all but things don’t turn out well.  Everyone was against him, he feels lonely, alone, abandoned and he turns to God and blames him for going soft on evil doers and sinners who are plotting against him. “Your anger is very slow,” Jeremiah said to God, “realize that I suffer insult for your sake.”  Now that is a strong statement.  And Jeremiah continued, “I devoured your words they became my joy and the happiness of my heart, and because I am working for you I did not enjoy, I did not party like the rest.  Then why are you making me suffer?”

Opps, many of us feel that way sometimes, don’t we?
So how did God respond to Jeremiah?  Like all people who fall into self pity Jeremiah might have probably expected consolation from God, ulo-ulo, sympathy, baw kaluluoy man sa imo no.  But God gave him some kind of a cold water treatment telling him – Jeremiah repent, change your ways, get your acts together and stop this orgy of self pity.  And there and then God renews his call to Jeremiah.  This is unique – God renews his call.
When we celebrate our anniversaries we renew our vows.  In Jeremiah it was different.  God renews his call.  Think about it.


Comments