ang starring pirme da-ug: 12th Sunday C 2013

As children we were made to believe that important characters in the movies do not die.  Ang starring pirme da-ug.  They always come out victorious, they always win, they always end in triumph.  Ang starring pirme da-ug.  So imagine my surprise when I watched Earthquake back in 1975.  As an aside palalantaw ako sine kay nagdaku ako sa Ledesma Street nga napatung-an sang Golden kag Cinema, kag kon magtabok ka sa dalan Allegro kag Rivera.  So imagine my surprise, I was nine years old when I saw Charlton Heston died in that movie Earthquake.  Even now I can still remember the scenery.  Indi ako mapahamtang asta subong pila na idad ko I can still remember that eksena as they were coming out of the manhole.  That was the first time that I saw an important character, ang starring, dying with his wife as they were swept away by the rushing water when the dam collapsed because of the earthquake.  Ang starring wala nagakapatay.  Imposible na ya nga mapatay ang important character.

Although this particular scene is not included in the reading of our gospel today, the disciples especially Peter would be protesting the fact that the messiah would die, they could not accept the fact that the savior will die.  Ang starring wala nagakamatay.  Ang important character cannot die kay kon mapatay sia, pierdi sia.
When we had the show Amo Vitam in the seminary last February we were also debating on the same issue – should we allow Amo and Vitam, the important characters of our play, to die?  Now since I am the rector I have the final say – ang important character wala nagakamatay.  So buhi sila.
This Sunday I would like to reflect on this question:  What is wrong if important characters die?  What is so devastating when important characters are defeated?  Why are we so affected like Peter when the savior, dies?  Do they always have to come out triumphant?  Should movies always end with the important character triumphant?  What is it in defeat, in suffering, in death that we could not associate with God, Savior, Messiah?  What is it in the cross, in the passion, in pain that we immediately disassociate with triumph, with power and with exultation?  The cross, St. Paul says, is a scandal to the Greeks and a stumbling block to the Jews.  Then why is the cross also a scandal and a stumbling block even to us Christians?  Ang starring wala nagakamatay, ang important character wala nagakapierdi.
When the RH bill won the day many Catholic loyalists including some bishops, priests and catholic lay people felt defeated, in fact I know of some who felt devastated.  And there we go again - ang starring wala nagakamatay, ang important character wala nagakapierdi. 
Whenever I look at the crucifix I always tell myself – I am expected to fight, but I am not expected to win.  For didn’t Jesus say to Pilate, “my kingdom is not of this world.  If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not of this world.”
Many of us cannot carry our crosses bravely because many of us think that this is our kingdom, this is our place, this is our territory, this is our turf.  But no, this is not our place, this is not our turf, this is not our world.  Like the San Antonio Spurs, we will be defeated because this is not our home court.
So what are you whining about?  I will be worried, very worried if the catholic church always gets what she wants.  Because it would mean that she is asking not what Jesus wants.  The values of Jesus will always be opposed in this world.
I will be worried if my life would be too convenient, if I am unopposed and always liked by everyone because of what I say and do.  I will be worried if I have no crosses to bear . . . for it can mean that I am not following the Lord.



Comments